Sunday, 11 August 2013

Duelist Edition Ranking Tournament Report 11/8/2013

Amidst the continuous check on new updates with regards to the 2013 Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championships, I still managed to find time to head down to locals today to participate in the Duelist Edition Ranking Tournament. I have previously took part in this tournament a couple of times, but scrubbed out early, so there was nothing much to report on.

Furthermore, since entry for these tournaments are always free and we get a free tournament pack as the doorgift, there was simply no reason not to play. The winner of these tournaments also get a limited edition Duelist Edition playmat which is pretty awesome for a free tournament.

For foreign readers of my blog who have no idea how the Duelist Edition Ranking Tournament works, it is basically a tournament that requires us to fit in 3 copies each of 3 types of cards from a selected card-pool (i.e 9 cards in total since its 3X3) that was printed in either the OCG Duelist Edition Pack Vol. 1, 2, 3 or 4. The card-pool changes each month and Dragon Ruler cards are not allowed to be used in this tournament.

For the month of August, the mandatory card-pool are as follows:

Gladiator Beast Murmillo
Gladiator Beast Laquari
Gladiator Beast Hoplomus
Gladiator Beast Secutor
Gladiator Beast Andal
Reign-Beaux, Overlord of Dark World
Kahkki, Guerilla of Dark World
Gren, Tactician of Dark World
Renge, Gatekeeper of Dark World
Dark World Dealings
Evil HERO Malicious Edge
Evil HERO Infernal Gainer
Evil HERO Dark Gaia
Dark Fusion
Dark Calling
Botanical Girl
Tytannial, Princess of Camellias
Black Garden
Miracle Fertilizer 
The World Tree

Therefore, with the requirement to fit in a total of 9 cards from this pool, 3 each from 3 types of cards, I was expecting to see plenty of Dark World decks alongside hybrid Prophecy, Firefist or Mermial decks with a random splash of the 9 cards, and also the possible HERO decks or Plant decks. However, what was surprising is that many players chose to play Gladiator Beasts instead.

I'm guessing that the mandatory pool for the Gladiator Beast cards fits in better for the original GB deck as compared to the pool for the Dark World cards, which is why many players chose to run GBs instead. Running GBs myself, I welcomed the challenge as I used to be an active GB player (while playing my favourite Jinzo Returner deck lol). However, having not touch the deck for so long, the rustiness was bound to be there.

For myself, the 3 types of cards that I selected was Gladiator Beast Laquari, Gladiator Beast Hoplomus and Gladiator Beast Andal.



Deck used: Gladiator Beast
Format: Single Elimination


Round 1: VS Dark World
I lost the dice roll for this match T_T
G1: The match went back and fro, until a crucial point where my opponent had a "Gates of the Dark World" on the field and set a facedown spell/trap. Looking through my graveyard, I saw only 1 or 2 monsters, and having already filtered enough spells/traps, I decided to take a risk and use my facedown MST on his freshly set card instead of the gates. I hit a "Torrential Tribute", but for the next 3 turns I couldn't draw any monsters (probability failed me lol) and my opponent proceeded to farm more advantage with gates and finished me off.
G2: This was probably the fastest game 2 I ever had. I opened up with a "Gladiator Beast Bestiari" and opened "Dimensional Fissure" alongside a set "Waboku". My opponent looks at his hand and decided to scoop for game 3. After asking what was in his hand, he said that he drew 2 "Dark World Dealings", 2 Graphas, 1 "Monster Reborn" and one other card that I forgot. The "Dimensional Fissure" I activated killed him off.
G3: I opened up pretty decent for this last game and after my opponent ended his turn with 2 set cards and 1 set monster, I normal summoned "Gladiator Beast Laquari" and attacked into his facedown monster. However, despite destroying the monster by battle, my opponent flipped "Skill Drain", making it redundant to tag for anything. I set 4 cards and ended my turn, with one of them being "Starlight Road". My opponent activates a blind MST in my end phase, and wts!!!!! he managed to hit my "Starlight Road". Next turn, he activated "Heavy Storm" and I was a sad man. However, having drawn no other monsters, I simply beat him down and won the match.

Results: XOO


Round 2: VS Gladiator Beast
I lost the dice roll for this match again. Le sigh
G1: Despite losing the dice roll, I was still pretty happy because it was finally the long awaited GB mirror match! My opponent passed with a set spell/trap and a set monster. At this point of time, I still had no idea that my opponent was playing GBs as well because this is my first time playing against him. I normal summoned "Gladiator Beast Hoplomus" and ran into his facedown monster, and to my shock, it was also a Hoplomus. Being the turn player, I could tag first for my Hoplomus but my opponent has "Solemn Warning" to restrict me. Things went downhill for me as my opponent gained control. At a point of time, my opponent had Bestiari and 2 facedown spell/trap. I decided that it was a do or die situation now and I summoned "Gladiator Beast Darius". Drawing no response from my opponent, I passed without attacking, feeling pretty sure that my opponent had an out to my attack. What I was aiming for was for my opponent to contact fusion into "Gladiator Beast Gyzarus" as my Darius was bait for a trap. My opponent made that move indeed and I flipped up my "Gladiator Beast War Chariot", destroying his Gyzarus. I managed to gain momentum after the successful strategy and established control, winning the game in the end.
G2: This was a repeat of my game 3 in Round 1. I normal summoned Laquari, set 4 facedown spell/trap and ended my turn. My opponent activates a blind MST in my end phase, and hits my Starlight Road! He flipped Heavy Storm next turn and I could not recover from that due to the lack of cards in hand.
G3: Going into the last game of Round 2, I managed to start with a decent hand and managed to block off many attempts of my opponent's GBs to attack. In the end, I managed to end up with 3 GBs on the field after the end of my battle phase, reviving Laquari with credits to Darius. I then exceeded Laquari and Darius into "Bujintei Kagutsuchi" instead of "Gladiator Beast Heraklinos". It turned out to be a correct move and my opponent ended up topdecking after the next turn, and scooped when I summoned another GB to seal the match.

Results: OXO


Semi-Finals: VS Firefist GB
I finally won the dice roll for the first time today!
G1: I was playing against my friend, so the atmosphere was quite alright as it did not matter who wins in the end. My friend was playing a hybrid of 4-axis Firefist with a splash of 9 GB cards to fulfil the deck requirements for the Duelist Edition Ranking Tournament. I started off struggling badly as "Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Tiger King" was a pain in the ass and I found it hard to overcome the bro-fist monster. After successfully doing so, my opponent activated Heavy Storm when I had 2 backrows, I flipped Starlight Road! Things went my way after that as my opponent had to use "Compulsory Evacuation Device" on my "Stardust Dragon" and simply did not have enough resources to deal with the incoming flood of GB monsters that I had and I captured the first game.
G2: Pretty much the saddest game of my day as my friend started off with Tenki and Tensu, going into Tiger King and setting several backrows. With no way to deal with his backrows, I lost all my resources and was down to topdecking. After getting my last spell/trap, "Bottomless Trap Hole" hit by a MST, I scooped, knowing that there was no way I could come back from this situation.
G3: I started off strong with Laquari and 5 backrows (1 of them being Starlight Road), my friend went into Tenki for Laquari and drawing no response from me, he activated Tensu, going into a second Laquari. Still no response from me. He then sent his 2000atk Laquari into my 1800atk Laquari and I activated "Mirror Force", wiping both his Laquaris! His subsequent moves was blocked by my backrow and his Tenki was stopped by my MST. I summoned Anal and attacked with Laquari, leaving him with 4300LP and tagged into Bestiari to clear his last backrow. He set his last monster and I started my turn, drawing into Retiari. I contact fusion Gyzarus using Bestiari and Retiari, destroying his set monster, and attacked with both Gyzarus and Andal for game.

Results: OXO


Finals: VS Firefist GBs
~Conspiracy~ We didn't play it out as I did not need another playmat and my chances of beating my finals opponent was extremely slim. Therefore, I settled for some other stuff.


Overall, Duelist Edition Ranking Tournament was extremely fun and it was nice to use GBs again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment